Sodium Formate, HCOONa, is the sodium salt of formic acid, HCOOH. It usually appears as a white deliquescent powder. There are various production methods to produce it. It can be used as final product,as raw material or as intermediate to produce other chemicals.
- Leather industry as tanning agent
- Oil Drilling field or Oilfield chemicals - In exploratory drilling, high-density saturated sodium formate solution can enhance machines high temperature resistance, prevent rust and exhibit microbial degradation functions. The use of sodium formate helps stabilize the rock layer and reduce the impact on the soil environment during oil explorations.
- As a de-icer on airport runways due to its effectiveness and less contamination than Salt. It melts the ice rapidly without damaging the asphalt
- Pulp and paper industry - In production of sodium hydrosulphite / dithionite (a bleaching agent)
- Textile industry - fabric dyeing and printing process
- Construction industry
- Electroplating process
- As animal feed additive - used as a dietary electrolyte balance (dEB) enhancer
- Formic acid manufacturing